The Iowa Cattlemen's Leadership Program (ICLP) consists of a series of educational sessions designed to develop leadership qualities in young cattle farmers. The Iowa Cattlemen's Association intends to have action-packed agendas for each session that touch on key beef cattle industry topics as well as to enhance leadership skills.
The goal of the Iowa Cattlemen's Leadership Program (ICLP) is to train future leaders of Iowa's cattle industry. The program is an initial opportunity to be more active in the Iowa Cattlemen's Association, and perhaps fulfilling a future leadership role in ICA. ICLP participants are educated on the structure and function of the Iowa Cattlemen's Association. Participants undergo training and educational seminars to enhance their communications skills, strengthen their awareness of the legislative process, and diversify their knowledge of the Iowa and U.S. beef cattle industries.
ICLP participants will be expected to lead recruitment efforts for Iowa's premier fed beef competition, the ICA Carcass Challenge. This unique networking opportunity provides support for educational and leadership activities for Iowa cattlemen across the state.
ICA's ICLP graduates consistently take on new leadership roles within the industry, improve their own operations as a result of ICLP, and truly serve as ambassadors for the next generation of cattle producers.
The ICLP group will meet multiple times throughout the year, each showing you an important sector of the beef industry.
Sessions will be focused on the following topics:
- January 11-12 | Introduction to Leadership, Beef Advocacy and Volunteerism at ICA Headquarters
- February 15-16 | Introduction to Government & Policy while advocating for Iowa's beef business at the State Capitol
- March 16 | Beginning farmer opportunities webinar with Farm Service Agency and Iowa Finance Authority
- May 15 | Webinar focused on grazing programs from NRCS and rotational grazing experiences and opportunities
- June 14-15 | Participate in Foreign Animal Disease Tabletop with ICA leaders, attend Carcass Challenge Banquet
- July 11 | Packing Plant and Farm Tour
- September 12-13 | Beef Nutrition
- November 8-9 | Introduction to Beef Consumer Trends
- December 15-16 | Leadership Summit and ICLP graduation
Participants may miss up to two sessions; after two missed sessions, the participant will be dismissed from the program.
How to apply
The ICLP is a year-long program open to young cattlemen and women. Applicants should have completed their education and be working in cattle production or related industry. Participants may or may not be actively engaged in a beef operation, but should have a vested interest in the beef industry. Preference is given to applicants who are current members of the Iowa Cattlemen's Association.
ICA will cover the expenses of meals and hotel accommodations once the participants arrive to the session location thanks to program sponsors; however, the participants will need to cover their travel costs.
Applications are due November 1.
Please contact Meghan Orr or Tanner Lawton at 515-296-2266 with any questions you may have regarding the application or program.